tlug: before we pack the bags...

Hi all,

Wow, it's great to have people come forward to donate hardware
and space for a server!

I have a couple of thoughts about the impending move...

It would be really good (for me) to continue using the Apache
server.

Majordomo is a good choice to continue the list (maybe we should
install Majorcool as a GUI front end (I've done it -  it's
really easy and make a difference for listowners.)

The more RAM we can get the better. 32? hmm, 64 , at least -
with RAM prices the way they are we should free up some funds to
buy A LOT.

A lot of the CGI stuff on the web page could be replaced with a
conferencing system like yap. We could host public conferences
for general Linux discussions and private conferences for
developers who are concentrating on a release, idea, rant, etc.

The FTP server is a really interesting case. Yes, we definitly
need it, but how much use is it going to get? Aren't sunsite and
TSX-11 going to remain the main places to put new releases,
patches, etc?

The big question I have is how far we can push a 486? It'll
serve well as a webserver or ftp server or conferencing system
but not all of them together if it gets popular.

Regards,

Jim S.

Hey, where's Jim T.?
Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
a word from the sponsor: