Re: tlug: TLUG Server

On Wed, 18 Feb 1998, joem wrote:

> I can donate a 486-DX266 plus hardware if it helps.  I haven't had time to
> use it for anything recently.

How much RAM does it have?  If it doesn't come with RAM, what is the
number of pins and is it parity or non-parity?  We can probably
pick up some RAM from Akihabara.  I figure that it needs around
32, better with 64.  Processor is a bit
slow, but should be okay if the RAM is used for cache and the
web site doesn't get too popular.  The FTP archive probably
won't get more than 2 or 3 simultaneous accesses.

We have to do decide things like who gets shell access, if anyone
at all.  Also, we could probably give out e-mail and home page
space like joem@example.com and http://www.tlug.or.jp/~joem
Way cool!   I want craigoda@example.com

If we ran the mailing list on the server, we could use
one of the many mail to web programs to have archive the
mailing list right there on the web.

The possibilities are endless.  How about the TLUG Japanese
to English dictionary using Jim Breene's dictionaries and
Jeff Friedle's trans.  Exciting!

Of course, with the technical reputation of the group at
stake, we would have to keep that Linux server up all the
time.  The high availability Linux server.  ;-)  :-)

Regards,
Craig

------
craig@example.com
PGP Public Key   http://www.twics.com/~craig/personal/pgp/

Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
a word from the sponsor: