Re: tlug: Apache on Red Hat isn't working

On Wed, 18 Feb 1998, Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> I had Red Hat 5 install Apache along with just about the whole kitchen sink,
> but something doesn't seem to be working.  It can't be accessed from
> anywhere, not even the other computer sitting right next to it, or even from
> itself as either localhost or as 127.0.0.1.  Attempting access via Netscape
> just results in it waiting until the "server not responding message" comes
> up.

Take a look at your configuration files in /etc/httpd/conf. You should set
a hostname in there, and there are a lot of variables to set as you desire.
Also, take a look at /etc/services to make sure that port 80 is set for
http. It should be, but ya never knows.

Then again, it mostly sounds like your http daemon isn't running. There is
something odd about the inetd startup at times. I was having trouble with
my inn not starting properly before. Anyhow, just run /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd
with the stop and then start variables to make sure the service is running.

> All other TCP/IP stuff on this machine, including telnet and FTP, are
> working fine.  Any ideas as to what I should look at?  This is a vanilla
> Apache installation from the .rpm and I haven't changed anything.

If you haven't done so, you need to update a number of packages. There is
also one for apache. The RedHat updates are mostly security issues, so
they are important. Check the mirror that works best for you. Also, are
you still running the default 2.0.31 kernel? I'm not sure if RH patched
that one for the F0 0F workaround or not. I don't think so, however, so
it's best to upgrade to at least 2.0.32

HTH

David Riley

Hachinohe

http://w3.clat.hi-tech.ac.jp

Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
a word from the sponsor: