tlug: Applixware and printers

I recently installed Applix 4.3.7 and as printer options it gives you a
choice of Postscipt Printer or PCL5 printer.  What if the printer on my
machine is an HP Deskjet 850C, and I neither have nor especially want a
laser printer?

Speaking of printers, does anybody know of any work being done to develop a
newer HP Deskjet driver for Linux?  The one that's in there now doesn't
cover any modern Deskjets (goes up to the older 600 series ones) and
doesn't seem to even support features of the older ones well, but maybe
things are different under Linux and the application has to take care of
that stuff, as in DOS?  Still too new to Unix to know the answer to that
one.

I wish there was somebody doing for printer support under Linux what
XFree86 has done for video cards - even my somewhat-odd-but-nice Edge 3D is
supported these days.  Everything is supported.   But get a high-res color
inkjet and you've also gotten a real solid excuse to *always* use Windows
for something.

Thanks for any leads on drivers like this (or volunteers who feel like
writing one ;-)   )

Jonathan

P.S.  BTW, the toolbar icons in the Applixware picture on the flyer that
was in with my RH 5.0 set are nice and colorful.  The ones that installed
on my system are B&W and there doesn't seem to be any obvious way to change
them.  Anybody know how I can get some nice pretty icons here? Oh, and is
the RH 5.0 control panel also supposed to be B&W?  'Cuz it is.  Thanks!

Next TLUG Nomikai: 14 January 1998 19:15  Tokyo station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.  Or go directly to Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next Saturday Meeting: 14 February 1998 12:30 Tokyo Station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.