Re: tlug: Display resolutions

On Mon, 5 Jan 1998, Dennis McMurchy wrote:

>   My current modeline is as follows:
>
>         Modes       "1024x768" "1280x1024" "800x600" "640x480"
>
>   The initial 1024x768 is fine, and I can 'pan' into the unseen areas of
> the virtual 1280x1024 screen that it is a window into just fine.  When I
> switch to the 1280x1024 resolution, though, I'm actually getting something
> like 1260x900, and I cannot 'pan' into the unseen area at the bottom of the
> screen at all.

Each mode in that line corresponds to a "Mode" or "ModeLine"
in a "Monitor" section above it.  If your monitor and display card
are capable of that resolution, then putting the proper numbers
into the "1280x1024" Mode or ModeLine will fix the problem.
Unfortunately, I don't know what those numbers should be in your case.
Try reading /usr/lib/X11/doc/README.Config, README, Monitors, etc.

Also note that some 17" monitors are not physically capable of
displaying that resolution, even if they've got the bandwidth;
you can get the edges configured properly, but whether you'll
see every pixel or not depends on the dot-pitch.

And, I'm a little surprised that the SVGA driver will work at
any resolution over 800x600.

--
J. David Beutel       "You're inhabited by the society you live in through
11011011 jdb@example.com  your use of language." McCorduck on Turkle on Lacan

Next TLUG Nomikai: 14 January 1998 19:15  Tokyo station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.  Or go directly to Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next Saturday Meeting: 14 February 1998 12:30 Tokyo Station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.
a word from the sponsor: