tlug: serial line login

Hello,
I'm attempting a login to a Linux box from a PalmPilot
with vt100 emulation using a null-modem (the cradle) serial
line set at 9600. 8bit no-parity, no hardware handshake.

I'm accepting logins on the Linux box with getty

  cow:# /sbin/getty -L 9600 ttyS0 vt100

I'm getting the standard issue message, username prompt
and password prompt.  However, when I input the password
in and press return, the terminal just hangs there.

When I delete the password from from /etc/passwd file
so that I can login without a password, I can fully log
into the Linux box from the terminal emulator and use all
the Linux commands.  (cool)  So, the only thing is that
somehow the password verification section is hanging my
terminal.

I was thinking that it might be some escape sequence, but
I'm able to login without a password and it is not hanging.

Is there some Linux setting I need to configure to allow serial-line
logins to the Linux box for a standard user account?

using agetty 1.45a-3

----- other
 Online vt100 emulator for Pilot:  http://www.hausofmaus.com/online.html

Regards,
Craig

Re: Penguins

Joe, were those the Penguins from WGS, or did you get the photo
from the net?  Friendly looking users group.

------
craig@example.com
PGP Public Key   http://www.twics.com/~craig/personal/pgp/

Next TLUG Nomikai: 14 January 1998 19:15  Tokyo station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.  Or go directly to Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next Saturday Meeting: 14 February 1998 12:30 Tokyo Station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.
a word from the sponsor: