Re: tlug: Japanese Debian 1.3.1

joe> Laser 5 has just brought out a packaged set of Debian 1.3.1 with
joe> Japanese extensions for the AT and FMTowns.

dave> That's funny, I was just there the other day (for the first
dave> time, incidentally) and was surprised to see that they had
dave> _no_ Debian CDs, except the set with the little alien on the
dave> cover, which is not just Debian.  Oh no, I'm lying... they
dave> also had the new Debian book (which presumably has a CD inside):
dave> the same one I found on a table at the last meeting, spent a few
dave> minutes looking at, and decided I'd rather not pay the 3800 yen
dave> or so for.

The alien distribution is the August Infomagic compilation.  I haven't
tried the debian distribution on it, but I read on the Debian list that
the distribution on that CD set is broken.  The debian distribution in the
blue book that was at the meeting is version 1.3.0, and comes with 3 CD's
(binary, source, commercial). I'm really happy with that set, and use it
at home.

dave> When you say for the "AT", may I presume that this means i386?

It supports any PC or FMTowns.  I installed it last night and it's the
same as the 1.3.0 English version, except with a Japanese install
interface, and it includes Debian JP.beta2.  It doesn't include the
extra "commercial" CD that the english version has, though. The manual
is a translation of the 1.3.0 manual.

-Joe.

Joe Marchak
joem@example.com

Next TLUG Nomikai: 14 January 1998 19:15  Tokyo station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.  Or go directly to Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next Saturday Meeting: 14 February 1998 12:30 Tokyo Station
Yaesu Chuo ticket gate.
a word from the sponsor: