RE: tlug: X Windows client

    Michael> shoulda stuck with programming in college... oh well..

Never too late, although being an academic does give you more choices
about use of your time.

    >> No, you're confusing my statement with its (fuzzy) converse:
    >> that Linux and Unix users are generally relatively
    >> sophisticated (because the environment is not so friendly).  I
    >> have nothing but respect for

    Michael> ahh... sophisticated = user-friendliness then?  You're

Not equal, but there is a selection process.

    Michael> assuming that the sysadmin has paid his dues going
    Michael> through UNIX, and understands the concepts and can work
    Michael> with X or NT rather than starting from either
    Michael> platform... to me... that is a sophisticated user...

To me, that's not a user, that's a sysadmin :-)

To me, a sophisticated user is one who can handle the little
discrepencies between "help" and "man" or "info", and between "ls" and
"dir".  I was a 4DOS user, so I was always banging my fingers on
unsupported DIR options in COMMAND.COM when I helped other people---at
one point I was carrying a floppy with a copy of 4DOS.COM on it
around---now, that's sophisticated, even if I do say so myself :-) A
power user is one who uses `alias' to execute `dir' when `ls' is typed
(don't try this with COMMAND.COM :-)

    >> Consider the converse: would mentioning Windows in an ad
    >> directed to Linux users _scare_ them away?  I doubt it....

    Michael> Probably not... but from the responses that are on this
    Michael> thread... apparently it does...

So in your language "scare" == "make queasy"?  I dislike Windows, but
(modulo my experiences with data loss) am not scared of it.  After
all, somebody has to help Mom when she comes to Japan....

TLUG Meeting: To be announced
a word from the sponsor: