tlug: Sound Config for RedHat 5.0

Hi all,

I recompiled the 2.0.32 kernel from RedHat this evening.  I must say I
was quite let down by the 5.0 release (which didn't come with the 2.0.32
kernel/tear drop patch).  I have always been a pretty hardcore RedHat
guy, but this recent version almost smacked of the type of product @example.com
and M$ usually release.  I think if they had blown off any deadlines and
just added what they knew they should, the release would have been
fantastic.  I don't get why they only included limited support for
soundcards.  They were using the OSS drivers, they should have just used
the entire OSS package (configure anything).

Anyway, here's how to set up sound for RedHat 5.0 if you don't have a
Sound Blaster Card.

1) Recompile the kernel without the sound modules.  [Uh hum...only one
person responded, so I take it that this was a rights of passage
everyone must go through....so the silence forced me to learn the hard
way... :-) Either way I now feel quite comfortable recompiling the
kernel anytime]

2) Then download the OSS Installation package from
http://www.4front-tech.com/linux.html

3) Make sure you follow the directions in the INSTALL file.

Two minutes tops (except for the recompiling of the kernel which took 30
minutes).

Oh well, my humble contribution for those who may be interested in
adding sound support to their Linux box.  Take care all, and if and when
I make the next meeting, could someone introduce me to a CDROM with
Debian on it?

Take care,

Blaine
* Alan B. Stone                                              *
* Senior Technical Representative                            *
* COMTECH Japan                                              *
* Email:  stoneab@example.com                          *
* Web site:  http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Way/2140 *
TLUG Meeting: To be announced
a word from the sponsor: