Re: tlug: Re: Kernel modules

On Tue, 16 Dec 1997, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Krister> Craig Oda writes:
>     >> Jim Tittsler showed me yet another UNIX command-line trick that
>     >> I didn't know (make zImage &&make modules &&make
>     >> modules_include).  Joe and I were still using make zImage ;
>     >> make modules ; make  modules_include.
>
> `modules_install', maybe?  Anyway, that's a baaad thing to do.  I
> hosed myself royally that way once.  Something screwed up in the
> zImage target, so I didn't do a LILO.  But the module versions were
> configured in the current kernel and not in the new one, so when the
> modules got overwrote....

  While we're on the subject of modules, I have a couple of real newbie
questions:

  Ever since I first patched and recompiled the originally installed
kernel, I've been getting error messages on bootup about not being
able to open module_dep.2.0.30 or whatever.  I've tried creating such
a directory as a link to the actual module repository, but that only
produces different error messages about the modules being the wrong
version and so on.  So am I supposed to be using this "make modules ;
make  modules_include" when I recompile?  Let me add that I don't
actually make use of any modules, so all these error messages seem a
little superfluous.

  Earlier today I recompiled the kernel minus any module support, since
I don't use any anyway and I thought that might at least get rid of the
error messages.  It didn't, which seems odd.

  Any illumination will be much appreciated.

Dennis McMurchy,
Sointula, B.C. / Tojinmachi, Fukuoka
Canada           Japan

TLUG Meeting: To be announced