tlug: Got that Matrox Mystique card working now

  Hi all,

  A few weeks ago I picked up a new Matrox Mystique 220 video card,
but hadn't been using it because the XServer would only detect the
old on-board video circuitry, a problem mentioned in the Matrox
readme in the latest XFree 3.3.1 distribution.

  I mentioned in a previous post that there was a jumper on the mother-
board to disable the built-in video completely, and Alan B. Stone
mentioned that he had fixed a similar problem with a friend's machine
once by tweaking the jumper.

  Since the experiment was not guaranteed to succeed, and also required
disassembling most of my box, I procrastinated.  Finally this morning,
I removed the two hard disks, two CDROM devices, the floppy disk and
(yes!) the power supply so that I could get at the jumper.

  I actually got everything back together again, and it all WORKS!!
What amazes me more than anything is the robustness of XFree: I'm just
using the X Server from the 3.3.1 distribution on top of my two-year-old
X installation from Slackware 3.1 .  A number of the configuration files
it expects aren't even there, but it manages anyway!

  Thanks also to Rob [bickel@example.com], whose XF86Config file works
just fine. This success was due in large part to the members of Tlug.

  Cheers,

Dennis McMurchy,
Sointula, B.C. / Tojinmachi, Fukuoka
Canada           Japan

TLUG Meeting Dec. 13, 12:30 at Tokyo station Yaesu Chuo ticket gate
13:30 Starbuck's coffee.  13:45 HSBC | info: joem@example.com
At least 3 functional Sparc IPC machines will be raffled out
a word from the sponsor: