tlug: Red Hat vs. Debian

Hey,
   I really don't wanna open up a big can of worms here,
but I've been reading the recent comments on this topic
with interest.  A while back I decided that Red Hat would
probably be the best choice for me because of its broad
acceptance, and because it _seemed_ to offer something that
is of importance to me: I want a system that requires as
little "fiddling with" as possible.  As much as possible,
I just want a system that will work without my having to
spend most of my time working on the system itself.  Better
put up with a certain amount of cr*p.  I'm not so naive as
to think I can have UNIX so easily with no strings attached :^)

Still, it seems that a number of the in-the-know guys here
are now using Debian.  My system is still just newly-installed
and it wouldn't be hard for me to change now.  Is the "ease
of maintenance" issue basically moot among the different
distributions?  Also, I know the packaging system is different
between these two.  Is it gonna be a problem for me to be
"stuck" with dpkg (name?), or can one use RPM on Debian now?

A little advice wo yoroshiku onegai shimasu,
Dave

TLUG Meeting Dec. 13, 12:30 at Tokyo station Yaesu Chuo ticket gate
13:30 Starbuck's coffee.  13:45 HSBC | info: joem@example.com
At least 3 functional Sparc IPC machines will be raffled out