Re: tlug: Get your Bumpers ready!

On Mon, 17 Nov 1997, Jim Schweizer wrote:

> # enter that number into an array
> @example.com=(0..$cooldudes);
>
> #get a whole number from @example.com
> $win = int(rand@example.com) +1 ;

Jim,
this looks good.  I'm wondering how Perl specifies the range.
If the random number is out of range, does it do a recalculation
of the random number?  Also, what does it use for the salt,
the system clock?  When I did it with Java, I was getting
random numbers clustered in certain areas.  (I think).  Anyway,
I guess if I don't shake the beer mug enough, I'll get the
same type of semi-random results.  ;-)  ;-)

Ahh, to use hitech or lotech that is the question.  Which is
more random?

Regards,
Craig

TLUG Meeting Dec. 13, 12:30 at Tokyo station Yaesu Chuo ticket gate
13:30 Starbuck's coffee.  13:45 HSBC | info: joem@example.com
At least 3 functional Sparc IPC machines will be raffled out
a word from the sponsor: