tlug: KDE and GNOME

I was getting kind of genki about KDE when I noticed this post
by Bruce Perens, Debian Project Leader, in comp.os.linux.x.

-- Craig

Subject: Re: KDE: Standard GUI for Linux? - Debian leader replies

> Re: KDE: Standard GUI for Linux? - Debian leader replies

> From           bruce@example.com (Bruce Perens)
> Organization   Pixar Animation Studios
> Date           14 Nov 1997 06:36:07 GMT
> Newsgroups     comp.os.linux.x
> Message-ID     <64grgn$lpf$1@example.com>
> References     1 2

> Debian was chosen to be on an upcoming KDE CD-ROM.
> The money we get from that CD will go to the GNOME project.
> We expect that GNOME will be the eventual standard GUI for all free
> software, not KDE. If you are not familiar with the GNOME project,
> see http://www.gnome.org/ .
>
> With the recent developements in GTK and GNOME, Qt is rapidly becoming
> obsolete. And since GTK and GNOME are free software under the GPL,
> there is a big incentive to use them instead of Qt, which has a license
> that does not allow you to maintain it at all. If you ever need any
> change, you are entirely at the mercy of Troll Tech. If you want to
> port your program to something other than X, you have to pay Troll Tech
> about $1200!
>
> I understand that Red Hat has similar sentiments to Debian on this issue,
> but I can't speak for them.
>
> I would encourage all free software supporters to check out the GNOME
> web site right away. Again, it's at http://www.gnome.org/ .
>
>         Thanks
>
>         Bruce Perens
>         Debian Project Leader
> --
> --
> Can you get your operating system fixed when you need it?
> Linux - the supportable operating system. http://www.debian.org/support.html
> Bruce Perens K6BP   bruce@example.com   NEW PHONE NUMBER: 510-620-3502

"Knowledge is the air and light of civilization.  Transform it and you
transform all else."
Craig Oda 	craig@example.com
   TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
Main Reception: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096

TLUG Meeting Dec. 13, 12:30 at Tokyo station Yaesu Chuo ticket gate
13:30 Starbuck's coffee.  13:45 HSBC | info: joem@example.com
At least 3 functional Sparc IPC machines will be raffled out
a word from the sponsor: