Re: tlug: Re: Pine hosed?

On Wed, 5 Nov 1997, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Sorry, I stand corrected.  I don't know what Pine's algorithm is; I do
> know that 3.9something would happily send out French with
> charset=ISO-2022-JP.  One of my users was a French speaker and I had
> to fix his .pinerc.  Fortunately, he didn't use anything but
> ISO-8859-1.  And Craig's mail shows that some version of Pine is
> pleased to send out EUC as ISO-2022-JP.
> Does "correctly" really mean "accidentally because the only charset I
> use in email besides US-ASCII is ISO-2022-JP"?  Inquiring minds want
> to know: send me some Chinese or Russian, s'il vous plait.  (You're
> the guy who was using cWnn as I recall, should be no problem!)

  Actually, Steve, you're right.  I just happened to look at the help
entry for character sets in Pine just before I read your message.  Here's
the text:

        OPTION: Character-Set

The character set is used primarily to mark outgoing email appropriately.
Set it to whatever character set you might use to compose messages.
Whenever you actually send a message, Pine checks it to see if it is, in
fact, US-ASCII (a subset of the other sets allowable). If it is US-ASCII,
the outgoing message will be marked as such no matter what you have set as
your character set. Normal default is US-ASCII.  Typical alternatives
include ISO-8859-x, where x is a number between 1 and 9.

  So 'correctly' does mean 'accidentally', as you suggest.

  Cheers,

Dennis McMurchy,
Sointula, B.C. / Tojinmachi, Fukuoka
Canada           Japan

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday Dec. 13, 1997  (possibly Nov. 13?)
a word from the sponsor: