Re: tlug: CD Roasting with xcdroast 0.96c

On Tue, 28 Oct 1997, Jim Tittsler wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 27, 1997 at 11:01:53PM +0900, Dennis McMurchy wrote:
> >   What I really wanted to ask about, was if anyone knows how I can
> > access the tracks of a multi-session CD beyond the first track.  You
>
> The table of contents for a multisession disc is built by the drive by
> scanning all of the TOCs from first to last.[*] It returns the TOC of the
> complete disc unless explictly told otherwise... making reading multi-
> session discs quite transparent.  The primary volume descriptor in the last
> sesssion is the one that is used when "mounting" the disc.  A data disc will
> simply look like a larger piece of media after finalization of the session
> or an audio disc will have more tracks.  The tracks are numbered in
> increasing (but not necessarily contiguous...**) order.
>
> > And, of course, when you 'mount' a CD with multiple tracks, you only get
> > the first track.
>
> Of course, that is not true.  :-).  The ISO9660 file system (which is what
> controls what "you get" in the data sense) allows the data to span multiple
> tracks.

  Gosh, Jim, this just doesn't make sense of what I see on my system.  I
used 'cdrecord' to make what I think is a 'multisession' disk, with two
separate 'writes' on it.  'xcdroast', which doesn't support multisession
yet, sees the second track, but labels it as 'CD-Extra - not readable',
and when I just 'mount -t iso9660' the CD, I get only the first track.
How do you create the multisession disks that you are talking about -
it seems we must be talking about different formats.

Dennis McMurchy,
Sointula, B.C. / Tojinmachi, Fukuoka
Canada           Japan

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday Dec. 13, 1997  (possibly Nov. 13?)
a word from the sponsor: