Re: tlug: Internet phone and video capture

No you're right! (ha, ha, just wanted to get in the last word).

I don't have anything special.  I have a quickcam and a Matrox
Millenium Video Card, and have successfully used it with QSeeMe to
chat with some friends at the University of Maryland.  However, they
were prepared for me.  I've tried the same thing with others, but no
success.  I started looking into Internet Phone and other types of
video conferencing, when after using it on my wife's Macintosh (and
talking to my brother in the states for three hours free) I realized
the money I could save on phone calls.  I've also seen the Micro$oft
NetMeeting running on a friends computer and felt that there had to
be something comparable to it for Linux.

I found Fphone on the web, and started using it, but when the person
at the other end doesn't have the same it doesn't work.  I even
thought of using Netscape Conference, but "behold" they left it out
of the Linux version (how nice of them).

Thanks for the list, I will check it out.  Now that I know someone
else is interested in Internet Phone and Video Conferencing maybe we
can get the same software up and running and test it together.

Thanks and I look forward to trying out these things with you.

Blaine
Alan B. Stone
Senior Technical Representative
Communications Technology Research Activity Japan
Email:  stoneab@example.com
Website:  http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Way/2140
Next TLUG meeting is Saturday Dec. 13, 1997  (possibly Nov. 13?)
a word from the sponsor: