Re: tlug: RH4.2 "Errata" RPMs

In message <3.0.3.32.19971012221702.006a7e30@example.com> you wrote:
> All the RPMs were there, and I simply kept clicking on them and then
> clicking the "Upgrade" button. Worked like a charm... all except for the
> "db-1.85-11.i386.rpm" file.
>
> For some reason this one wouldn't do anything. Under the Package Management
> tool, if I highlight it, and click <QUERY> and then <VERIFY>, then under
> the "Problem" column, I see "checksum, size, time". I downloaded it again
> from Red Hat, with the same results. Is this a Red Hat problem with the
> original file?

I also had this problem. RedHat warns that it may happen, and recommends
updating this package from the command line.

Here's the quote from the 00README:

   * Package: db

     Updated: 09-Jul-1997

     Problem:
        o (09-Jul-1997) Security Fix: db-1.85 contains a possible security
          problem involving snprintf(); no attacks exploiting this minor
          problem are currently known. The problem is fixed in db-1.85-11.

     Note:
        o (09-Jul-1997) When you install this update, rpm may complain about
          failed dependencies; if so, you may install this update without
          problems using one of the following commands:

               rpm -Uvh --nodeps db-1.85-11.i386.rpm db-devel-1.85-11.i386.rpm

          or:

               rpm -Uvh --nodeps db-1.85-11.sparc.rpm db-devel-1.85-11.sparc.rpm

     Solution:
        o Intel: Upgrade to
          db-1.85-11.i386.rpm
          db-devel-1.85-11.i386.rpm
        o Alpha: The db package is not available for Red Hat Linux/Alpha
        o SPARC: Upgrade to
          db-1.85-11.sparc.rpm
          db-devel-1.85-11.sparc.rpm

---
Alberto Tomita, Jr.            http://www.ishiilab.dnj.ynu.ac.jp/~Alberto
Yokohama National University       e-mail: alberto@example.com

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday Dec. 13, 1997  (possibly Nov. 13?)