Re: tlug: Gnus and Japanese

tlug note from "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com>

On 30-Sep-97 Craig Oda wrote:
>About the gnus mail though, doesn't it work out-of-the box?  What problem
>are you having?  Is it Japanese specific, or is it more of a
>general gnus mail problem?  I've been using mew.

    Totoro> I have tried all I can find out, but can't get gnus to do
    Totoro> Japanese.  Xemacs 20.2 does it fine; I've tried it out
    Totoro> with canna and now with wnn. It's set up with a Japanese
    Totoro> font and all, but gnus just keeps on showing mojibake. I'm
    Totoro> sure it's some simple thing that I've not configured yet,
    Totoro> but don't know what else to look in. BTW, the prior list
    Totoro> messages were quite good reference. Setting locale to
    Totoro> japanese did nothing for me on this. Any thoughts?

There are some bugs in Gnus/Japanese for XEmacs, I think; there's been
a bunch of traffic on XEmacs-beta about this.  I don't think this is
you're problem though, since you're getting absolutely nothing.

What you probably need to do is tell Gnus/Mule that certain newsgroups
are Japanese (you can use wild cards for this, eg, fj.*).  Don't do
Gnus, so can't help any further.  Try info gnus....

I will go look up the stuff on my XEmacs beta archive, but XEmacs is
not something to run in 16MB :-( so I've been pruning pretty fierce.

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday October 11, 1997