Re: tlug: Sparc Watchdog event

tlug note from Jim Tittsler <jwt@example.com>
On Thu, Oct 09, 1997 at 08:42:51AM +0900, Yuri Anissimov wrote:

> I remember there were some threads about the watchdog reset problem during
> the installation of RedHat on Sparc ELC.

I think the traditional wisdom is that this is caused most often by a hardware
problem (memory, SCSI)... even when it does work with other operating systems
which may not hit the hardware in quite the same way.  I've read folks on the
Linux for Sparc mailing list report similar behavior that went away with a
change in SCSI termination.

I had a problem with my ELC getting watchdog resets while browsing the net
using Grail with graphics enabled.  Updating to the X window stuff in
RedHat 4.2 made the problem go away... whether by actually solving the
problem or just moving stuff around in memory is open to debate I suppose.

Jim
Next TLUG meeting is Saturday October 11, 1997