Re: tlug: More CDROM miseries in Wales

tlug note from Jim Tittsler <jwt@example.com>
On Sun, Oct 05, 1997 at 08:27:22PM +0900, Dennis McMurchy wrote:

>   Thanks Jim for the very helpful advice regarding my Welsh friend's

I suspect that there is not enough information here to continue this
process much longer... but a few comments on his reply.

> > >   The kennel rebuild went very smoothly (though I chose rather wildly
> > > between the various options), and I selected ATAPI CD-Rom. And, as you
> >
> > Which hopefully means he said yes to "Include IDE/ATAPI CDROM support"
> > (and also yes to "ISO9660 filesystem" but that will only be a problem
> > after detecting the drive :-).  You will also want to exercise caution
> > if you have an IDE chipset that has only a single FIFO for both of the
> > interfaces.  In particular say Yes to the CMD640 and RZ1000 configuration
> > options if you have either or if you aren't sure.
>
> I didn't get asked about any of these things --  I just selected ATAPI
> CDrom and that seemed to be an end to the matter. Perhaps there's
> something wrong with the setup program?

This seems a bit confused.  Earlier he was describing rebuilding the kernel.
Its configuration is done by 'make config', 'make menuconfig', or
'make xconfig' (I strongly recommend one of the last two, depending
upon if X is available).  The "setup program" is probably in the
installation process for his distribution.  Two very different things.

To rebuild the kernel, he should use 'make xconfig'.  Among the choices
under "Floppy, IDE, and other block devices" he needs to say Y to
'Include IDE/ATAPI CDROM support' (and Y to CMD640 chipset bugfix/support
and Y to RZ1000 chipset bugfix/support if he is not sure what IDE
controller he is using).  And among the choices under 'Filesystems'
make sure ISO9660 cdrom filesystem support is selected.

Mounting a CD with a properly configured kernel can then be done with
mount -t iso9660 -o ro /dev/hdd /cdrom
(assuming the /cdrom point exists).  If he adds a line like
/dev/hdd   /cdrom  iso9660  ro,noauto 0 0
to his /etc/fstab, mounting can be done with something like
mount /cdrom

> difficulties in Computer Shopper magazine). But I tried again, just for
> the record, and the boot goes smoothly, & includes these lines:-
>   hdd: no response (status = 0xff)
>   hdd: ATAPI cdrom (?)

I'm surprised it says that unless he has no drive as master on the
secondary IDE channel (i.e. hdc).

> Anyway, when I booted using "linux hdd=cdrom", these ide parameters were
> correct.

That's a start.

>   If anyone can help on this, I'd be very grateful.  I'm stumped (although
> I have wondered if this could a PnP problem - I don't if his CDROM drive
Doesn't sound like PnP to me.

--
Jim Tittsler, Tokyo   jwt@example.com  http://www.dskk.co.jp/~jwt/

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday October 11, 1997