Re: tlug: Locale problem

tlug note from Paul Gampe <paulg@example.com>
On Sat, 20 Sep 1997, Totoro wrote:

Hi David,

riley>perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
riley>perl: warning: Please check that your locale settings:
riley>        LC_ALL = "",
riley>        LANG = "us"
riley>    are supported and installed on your system.
riley>
riley>There are other settings that still fail the same way; I've tried
riley>setting the ENV variable for LC_ALL and it's the same sort of error.

Perl has a compile time flag to control whether a locale environ is
required, LOCALE_ENVIRON_REQUIRED and USE_LOCALE.  You could recompile
perl without these defined; though it maybe worth the effort to get the
locale setup correctly.  You can check your locale setup do this with the
locale command (i presume from my hpux sys.) eg. "locale -a".  My hp box
keeps local definitions in /usr/lib/nls/loc/locales.

Here is a url, on locales under RedHat:

	http://www.redhat.com/linux-info/ldp/HOWTO/mini/Locales

Hope that helps,
Paul.

riley>Where does perl set this? The man pages are pretty vague, and just
riley>talk around the issue. I suppose it's not perl, but actually the
riley>system itself in how it reads this. FWIW, I have RH 4.2 and perl
riley>is 5.004. Any clues appreciated!
riley>
riley>David Riley
riley>Hachinohe Institute of Technology
riley>88-1, Myo, Ohbiraki  Hachinohe-shi  Aomori-ken  031
riley>
riley>
riley>Next TLUG meeting is Saturday October 11, 1997
riley>-----------------------------------------------------------------
riley>a word from the sponsor will appear below
riley>TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System.
riley>www.twics.com  info@example.com  Tel:03-3351-5977  Fax:03-3353-6096
riley>

mailto:paulg@example.com     phoneto:81-3-3351-5977     faxto:81-3-3353-6096
The students learn that effective action arises out of silence and a clear
sense of being.  In this they find a source of peace.  They  discover that
the person who is down-to-earth can do what needs doing  more  effectively
than the person who is merely busy.  - Lao Tzu's    "Tao Te Ching"   500BC

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday October 11, 1997