tlug: Gimp novice question

tlug note from Craig Oda <craig@example.com>
Hi,
I'm using gimp version 0.99.10.  It often happens that I want to
edit icons for placement in my AfterStep wharf (dock?).  I've
been using xpaint and xv until now.  Gimp seems to have a lot
of features and is stabilizing.  However, I can't quite get
it to do what I want.

In this case I have a 81x31 MySQL logo that I would like to
change into something like 60x60.  A simple size reduction
won't suffice since it reduces the legibility.
I want to move the "SQL" in MySQL below the My so that it looks
like this:
            My
           SQL

My problem is that I don't know how to change the canvas size.
When I cut and paste the SQL using the cut and paste rectangular
select, it only appears visible in the 81x31 space.  I've changed
the size using "Image" - "Resize."  I get this checked light-grey and
dark-grey canvas, but I can't paste the image to it.  Any
advice?

Regards,
Craig

"Knowledge is the air and light of civilization.  Transform it and you
transform all else."
Craig Oda 	craig@example.com
   TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
Main Reception: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday October 11, 1997