Re: tlug: Java and Japanese e-mail

tlug note from Craig Oda <craig@example.com>
I have the source for J2uc that converts Shift-JIS and EUC into
Unicode:

http://www.webcity.co.jp/info/andoh/java/j2uc/J2Uc.java

The actual program is pretty short.  It's too bad I know
so little about Japanese encoding.

When I was looking for the program, I found Linux JDK-1.1.3-v2.

Java-Linux-1.1.1-HOWTO.txt        13 Kb    Tue Aug 12 11:04:00 1997
jdk113demo.tar.gz               2586 Kb    Thu Aug 21 11:34:00 1997
jdk113doc.tar.gz                1437 Kb    Thu Aug 21 11:34:00 1997
linux-i18n.1.1.3-v2.tar.gz      3026 Kb    Wed Aug 20 02:54:00 1997
linux-jdk.1.1.3-v2.tar.gz       8880 Kb    Wed Aug 20 02:54:00 1997

A couple of things, there seems to be a linux-i8n now.  I'm downloading
it now and will give it a go.  Also, the dates indicate that it
was made available only a few days ago.  Fresh.

  --

Back to my little e-mail problem.  I'm using servlets, not applets.
The servlet talks to an Apache HTTP server.  It receives input

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've thought that normally
the POP server spit out JIS and that the mail client converted
it to ShiftJIS for the Mac Windows world or to EUC for the
Linux world.

This is what I thought:

 Windows '95  ==> Eudora          =====> SMTP  ====> Internet   =====>
 ShiftJIS         Convert to JIS                      JIS

 Something =======>  Eudora                ====> displays on Windows
 like POP   JIS      Converts to ShiftJIS            Monitor

So, what I thought was that I had to convert into JIS before
it got sucked in by the SMTP server.  What does everyone else
think?

Regards,
Craig

"Knowledge is the air and light of civilization.  Transform it and you
transform all else."
Craig Oda 	craig@example.com
   TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
Main Reception: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday October 11, 1997