Re: tlug: Java and Japanese e-mail

tlug note from Craig Oda <craig@example.com>
On 21 Aug 1997 kenhrd@example.com wrote:

kenhrd>Hi, hajimemashite.  I found announcement of this ML in fj.os.linux
kenhrd>and joined a week ago.
kenhrd>
kenhrd>I think we should use (and are using) JIS code for mail exchanges.
kenhrd>How about using "nkf" to convert S-JIS to JIS.  It should be included
kenhrd>in any JE package.

Ken,
hijimamashite.  Welcome to the group and thank you for your comment.
I hope to meet you at the next meeting.

I would like to use Java because:
   1) I like it    :-)
   2) I'm developing on multiple platforms - Linux Intel, Solaris Sparc,
	possibly NT (not my decision) at some point in the future.
	If I use a native method, my program becomes non-portable.
	Also, in this particular case, I do not have access to the
	shell or the compiler on the Sparc.  I have to only use
	FTP.

I think nkf would work.  However, there must be some Java class
to do the encoding change.  I read fj.lang.java last night and
could not find anything.  Is there a FAQ specific to Japanese
questions, not just a translation of the English FAQ?

I remember that there were some objects to do the conversion of
ShiftJIS into unicode.  I think I read this in Internet User.
I'm trying to reuse someone else's code instead of porting
something like nkf from C into Java.   I'm lazy.  :-)

-----
On a different note, past midnight last night, I did find a
reference to jPine on fj.os.linux.  I downloaded the source, but
the compilation failed.  The URL for the ftp site is on my home page
in the mail section.  Although Pine 3.95 has some Japanese support,
it is a little flakey.  I hope that the jPine 3.95 is more robust.
Anyone using this?  I want the IMAP4 support.

Regards,
Craig

"Knowledge is the air and light of civilization.  Transform it and you
transform all else."
Craig Oda 	craig@example.com
   TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
Main Reception: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096

Next TLUG meeting is Saturday October 11, 1997