Re: tlug: Window Maker

tlug note from "Alan B. Stone" <stoneab@example.com>
ABE Shige wrote:

> For apps that can't be docked, use the "Dock application" command
> in the window menu or the dockapp script to dock it manually.
> Look at util/dockapp.
>
> Here is part of the README in the util dir:
> dockapp-
> adds a new application into the Dock. Use this ONLY for applications
> that can't be normally docked, like Emacs or Netscape. You must exit
> WindowMaker before running the script, because WindowMaker overwrites
> the dock config. file on restart or exit.

Thanks ABE,

The dockapp, frankly, doesn't work.  Here's how to do it.
1.  Make sure you have defined all the icons you wish to use with your
applications in the app_options file.
2.  Edit the dock file (even though they tell you not too), and keep in
mind that there are twelve possible positions that you can put an icon
in.
3.  Use the following line as an example:

netscape  #what is this entry to be recoginized as...
Netscape  #What do I want to call it
9 1 0 0	  #What position on the dock do I wish to give it.
netscape  #what command am I to execute

That's it.  The 9 is the position of the icon in the dock.  The one is
the row (I guess you could?) and the 0 and 0 are the geometric
positions.  (Of course, I think the 1, 0, 0 mean that).  I'm only sure
of the 9.

Anyway, using this I caused all the icons I wanted to be put in the dock
on startup.

Take it easy.

Blaine