Re: tlug: Problems with libraries

tlug note from Jason Molenda <crash@example.com>
Stephen wrote:

> I'm pretty sure
> there are good self-study texts on GCC; you should get one and read
> it.

O'Reilly & Associates published a book recently, called "Programming
with GNU Software" (http://www.ora.com/catalog/prognu/).

The documentation that comes with GCC et al is _reference_
documentation; as Stephen noted, it is basically worthless for learning
how to use the tools.  I only breezed over this ORA book in a
bookstore, but it looks like a good user document and I would recommend
it heartily to anyone who wants to learn how to use the GNU development
tools in a programming environment.

> Save yourself a lot of future headaches, and
> carefully study how the programming system works and how it interacts
> with the environment.  It will repay you, and people who ask your
> advice (and they will :-) many, many times.

I agree 100% with Stephen.  Most of my job here in Japan is to support
Japanese developers using GNU tools; I see a lot of people who have not
taken the time to understand the development environment well.  They
waste a lot of their time finding amazingly convoluted ways to get
things done.  Learn how to use your tools and you'll be a happier
programmer for it.

Jason