tlug: Re: Plagued by plugins

tlug note from "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com>

    >>> In article <m0wZxr7-00002KC@example.com>,
    >>> "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com>
    >>> writes:

    >> I recently was browsing the Web and a couple of sites
    >> persistently want a plugin for "application/x-director".  I
    >> suspect I really don't want or need it :-) Is there such a
    >> thing as a /dev/null plugin, or some other way to turn off such
    >> warnings?

    Felix> Haven't tried this myself, but under options -> general
    Felix> preferences (netscape 3) is a list of applications.  I
    Felix> would poke around in there, find your mime type, and do
    Felix> *something* about it.  Don't know what, tho :-).

Yeah, figured that much out.  First off, the mime-type doesn't exist
in vanilla Netscrap 3.01.  I've tried putting

		   application/x-director;/bin/true

and

	    application/x-director;/bin/cat %s >/dev/null

in there, but nothing good happens.  It seems as though Netscape can
tell when something really wants a plug-in.  Or something.  I just
snagged the source file directly, and I guess the director extension
is ".dcs"; we'll add that to .mime.types and see if it helps.

Unfortunately, it's past midnight and the site is pretty hard to get
to due to telehodai customers.

--
                            Stephen J. Turnbull
Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences                    Yaseppochi-Gumi