Re: tlug: Free? Yes!! I'd love one if there are any left....

tlug note from "Alan B. Stone" <stoneab@example.com>
Jim Schweizer wrote:

> tlug note from Jim Schweizer <schweiz@example.com>
> Hi all,
>
> On 01-Jun-97 Alan B. Stone wrote:
> >I asked the other day, but didn't get a response...has anyone
> >heard about a program called tripwire?  Does it work?  Is it
> >really necessary?
>
> It might be a good idea to install it if you think someone has
> (or may) cracked into your system.
>
> Tripwire reads a configuration file of files or directories to
> monitor, and then tracks changes to inode information and
> contents. The database is highly configurable, and allows you to
> specify particluar attributes to monitor and particular message
> digest alogorithms to use for each file.
>
> If this makes sense to you:

> #!/bin/sh
>
> find `cat /usr/adm/filelist` -ls -type f -exec md5 {}\; >
> /tmp/now
> diff -b /usr/adm/savelist /tmp/now
>
> then you might want to get a copy from
>
> ftp://coast.cs.perdue.edu/pub/COAST/Tripwire

> Public-Access Internet System.  Now offering 20,000 yen/year flat
> rate Internet access with no time charges.  Full line of corporate
> Internet and intranet products are available.   info@example.com
> Tel: 03-3351-5977   Fax: 03-3353-6096

Jim,

Thanks, your email made perfect sense.  I found a copy of tripwire on
Red Hat's ftp server, but didn't want to install it until I had found
out a little more about it.  Thanks.

Blaine