Re: tlug: Linux as Proxy Server

tlug note from gaijin@example.com (John Little)
Mark,

   I'm doing this (apart from the dial-on-demand bit) with
   IP-masquerading. The only set-up gotcha is that you have to
   recompile your kernel to include masquerading and the firewall
   stuff.  Otherwise it's remarkably simple. I don't have any Macs on
   my home net, but my Solaris SPARC, Linux i386, Windows 95 NEC 98 and
   Linux SPARC machines are all quite happily talking to GOL through a
   single 33.6k PPP link.

   I would advise using a recent kernel (masquerading is pretty
   much BETA at the moment, so you'll have to have a 2.0.* kernel,
   minimum). Check out the PPPD "HowTo" for a blow-by-blow account
   on how to set things up.

   I'm told that diald will handle dial-on-demand with dynamic host
   name assignation nowadays, so that's the next thing I need to check
   out. One of the annoying problems with my current config is that the
   modem stays connected, even when the host machine crashes. This
   obviously is not very satisfactory (unless you own NTT shares). Has
   anyone already done dynamic IPs with diald?

			-John-

-------
%
% Was hoping if someone had any experience or could possibly point me in the
% right direction on how to
% go about setting up a LINUX box as a proxy server or gateway to the Internet
% via a dial-up PPP connection.
%
% The LAN would be using TCP/IP with a bogus IP network address. When one of the
% clients trys to connect to a
% valid internet address (i.e. www.sun.com) the LINUX server dials-out and acts
% like a proxy. When there is no activity for a specified
% time it drops the connection.
%