Re: tlug: US Robotics Courier I

tlug note from "Andrew S. Howell" <andy@example.com>

    Yuri> --------------------------------------------------------
    Yuri> tlug note from "Yuri Anissimov" <youri@example.com>
    Yuri> --------------------------------------------------------

    Yuri> Folks, anybody knows anything about US Robotics Courier I
    Yuri> Modems?  It is Courier V plus ISDN adapter, $429 internal.
    Yuri> Will it be compatible with japanese ISDN?  Sincerely, Yuri

My guess would be no. It seems that though ISDN is a "standard", it it
open to interpretation. In particular, it depends on who makes the
switching equipment at the telephone company. A ISDN TA has to have
software to deal with all the various "Switches" that it can connect
to. In Japan, the TA needs to be able to connect to INS, I
think. Check with USR and see if they specifically support
INS-64. From what I've seen so far, most vendors make special versions
for Japan. This is rather frustrating, because they tend to leave to
pricing to the local distributors, thus raping the consumer for more
than twice the US price.  :( Japanese ISDN products seem to be priced
much more in line with US prices, well, maybe at 25% premium.

Arrrrgggg,

	Andy