tlug: unicode

tlug note from Craig Oda <craig@example.com>

On Mon, 26 May 1997, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> This will get fixed when Netscape goes to Unicode (or to UCS-4, like
> Mule is doing at the moment).  If it's a real problem, w3.el is the
> only answer as far as I know.  If it's cosmetic, you can live with
> it....

Stephen,
isn't Netscape 4.0 a "Unicode" browser?
I can set my default encoding on my home system to UTF 8 bit and
display a unicode file that contains Japanese, upright smileys,
European languages, and few other interesting characters like
spades and other stuff.  All of them can be displayed on the
same screen at the same time.

This makes me wonder what being "unicode" compliant really
means.  I am using the Plan9 set of tools, 9wm, 9terminal,
wily (acme).  Everything is in Unicode.  However, I haven't
figured out how to input Japanese yet.  Also, I guess the
ASCII encodings are the same as in Unicode, because I can
display the English fine.  I've installed the unicode
fontset for 9term and wily.  I'm not sure why they are
different though.  This is kind of a whole new world
for me.  I hear that Java is unicode compliant, but again
I'm confused.  I can write Java programs using EUC Japanese
and have it display properly.  I wonder if I can write
Unicode and have it display unicode in a 9term??  Maybe
I should just make some time and try it out..

Any information would be appreciated.

Regards,
Craig