tlug: Hostname problems

tlug note from Dennis McMurchy <denismcm@example.com>
  Hi,

  Look, I know this has to be a very elementary problem, but I have never
solved it and it comes up again and again at various intervals.   This
error message is a good example of the problem:

 talk: tangrending: Host name lookup failure

What on earth do I have to do to make it clear to other programs like
httpd  and so on that 'tangrending', the hostname specified in my
/etc/HOSTNAME file is the local machine?  I can't just stick a line
or an alias in /etc/hosts because that seems to break the sendmail
that installs with Slackware 3.1 (used to be that sendmail was broken
without an entry defining the hostname in /etc/hosts).

  This has gotta to be real basic.  No prizes for the first correct
answer, but I will be eternally grateful and think of you often.

  By the way, I gave up on Netscape 4.0 after another round of struggling
with it.  It was just full of bizarre problems (like no download window
appearing during downloads) and unstable.  I can only imagine that I must
have got a bad copy or something.  Netscape's always been really straight-
forward and worked great for me.  3.0's fine anyway, really.

Dennis McMurchy,
Tojinmachi, Fukuoka