Re: tlug: XEmacs arrgh - still core dumping with kinput2

tlug note from Steve Dunham <dunham@example.com>
"Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com> writes:

> As mentioned in my previous message, I built liblocale, set up XEmacs
> to use that locale function, ran kinput2 in XIM mode, and started
> XEmacs.  Still core dumps immediately on key input.  Sorry, Craig;
> maybe Steve D. will have better luck (see below).

> Does anybody know if locales are being properly implemented in more
> recent libc releases?  Seems that libc is up to 5.4.x now, but I
> haven't been following the newsgroups or anything :-(.

AFAIK, libc has supported locales since around 5.2.x, maybe longer.
I know it's in libc-5.3.x.

Have you actually looked at the source to liblocale.so - it has little
to do with whether libc supports locale or not.  It replaces libc's
local functions with a call to the X locale functions.

> I just took another look at the Netscape localization page, and it
> looks like my problem could be an old version of X11R6 (XFree86
> 3.1.2.0).  That is known to make trouble for Netscape localization,
> maybe it's the problem here.  Maybe I'll just go do the full install
> of a current Debian I've been promising myself to get everything
> upgraded, and then install the most recent XFree86.

> Anyway, that's something for those of you who are trying to get
> Japanese in XEmacs to look at; I'd like to hear from anybody with
> XFree86 3.2 or better (if it exists) installed to see if that gets
> XEmacs running with XIM.

This may be one of your problems.  I'm running XFree86 3.2 and 'kterm'
works fine with XIM.  (yes, I used "kinput2 +kinput -xim").

(I'm also using libc-5.4.23 on a Debian system.)

Anyways, on my system, xemacs doesn't crash immediately - it complains
about an incomplete fontset, and says that XCreateIC failed; then
everything works, except that it ignores keyboard input.

I'll ask on the xemacs-beta mailing list about the XIM support.

Steve
dunham@example.com