Re: tlug: Sub-notebooks for Linux?

tlug note from Philip Jarvis <jarvis@example.com>
John D'Elia wrote:
> Libreto and the Thinkpad 530(?).  Has anyone had experience using these?

I don't know about the 530 but I've had experience with the
Thinkpad 535 and it wasn't a good one.  I managed to install
Slackware with no problem but for some reason couldn't get
my modem to work properly.  Not knowing anything about modems,
I figured I was doing something wrong.  Then after several
days of struggle, I came across this heartbreaker while reading
the Serial-HOWTO:

> Modems that claim to be ``Winmodems'', for example the USR Sportster Winmodem and IBM
> Aptiva MWAVE, are not supported under Linux. These modems use proprietary designs that
> require special Windows drivers. Avoid these types of modems.

Sure enough, my thinkpad was using an MWAVE fax modem.  I was crushed.
I had wanted to connect to my ISP via the modem, but now I'm
reduced to using good ol' Win95.

Yoroshiku,
Philip Jarvis
Japan Marine Science & Technology Center
2-15 Natsushima
Yokosuka 237 JAPAN

jarvis@example.com
phone: 81-468-67-5564