Re: tlug: Mule and Japanese learning

tlug note from Craig Oda <craig@example.com>

On Fri, 2 May 1997, Wu Wen wrote:

> tlug note from wen@example.com (Wu Wen)

> I send a message asking how to use Mule's "Gyaku-henkan" a while ago, but
> now response. Here is it again, hope some kind soul will help.
>
> > While I was working in Kyoto, I used a utility in mule called
> > gyaku-henkan.  (obviously I didn't install it;-) When you type M-x
> > gyaku-henkan, it will give you the hirakana of the kanji that is
> > currently displayed(can be word, or emacs region). It was really handy
> > for me to get the correct pronounciation.
>
> Now when I try to use it, it gives me "Fuzoku files not installed" error
> message. Can someone tell me to use the Gyaku-henkan, what additional
> fuzoku files do I need(I have the usual fuzoku dictionary file installed).

Wu,
I did a grep on my lisp files and found that the gyaku-henkan
function group is called by the wnn-egg.elc file found under
 /usr/lib/mule/19.28/lisp/

Since this is called from Wnn, my assumption is that you have
to install all the Wnn files, including the dictionaries.
It appears to use the same files as doing the henkan on the
region from romaji to kana.  Thus, the gyaku makes sense, all
it does is reverse the order.

I've just done an install of Wnn from Debian-JP 1.3 and it went
smoothly.  It is just a single file, compared to the set that
JE requires.   If you have Wnn installed, I can send you a copy
of all my lisp files to see if there is a file that you need.

BTW, this is a pretty helpful command.  I'll think I'll add
it to my web page.  Unless, you wanted to volunteer to do
the explanation of the gyaku-henkan.  ;-)  ??  I think that
it would be beneficial to map the key to something like
C-c C-g or something.  I have C-c C-t mapped to trans.el.

I'm curious to see how you do.

Regards,
Craig