tlug: Re: Pointer to current JE packages?

tlug note from Craig Oda <craig@example.com>

Blazing download speeds at ftp.lab.kdd.co.jp
Also, a few of my other favorites on my web page.

ftp.linux.or.jp is good, but I suspect it is
pretty slow unless you are on NSPIXP.

> As for configuring those, could anybody help me with the
> general setup of a JE system? I'm running Debian, and
> I have a hard time getting everything to work as it should.

Install Debian-JP.  I'm using Debian-JP Bo 1.3.  Much
better than Slackware JE distribution due to dependencies
in the packages.

Check out http://www.twics.com/~craig/linux-nihongo.html

> Right now, I have figured out how to use canna/kinput2
> with kterm. Even though the input seems to work on the
> command line, I can't get nvi to let me input japanese
> text. As for mule, I've given up trying to use it for the
> time being...

I'm using jvim.  You need canna-nvi if you intend to use
canna with nvi.  Precompiled deb package available.  See
above URL.

To get canna to work with mule, you need mule-canna and
put this in your .emacs

  (load-library "canna")
  (canna)

To get canna, mule, kinput2 to work together, start mule in
a kterm with mule -nw and add some stuff to your .emacs
This is documented on my web page.

Mule is great.  Don't give up.  がんばって あきらめないで

If you have any good information, please contribute it to
the document.

-- Craig