Re: total freeze

    Jim> Hi all, I was messing around with Netscape 3.0 trying to get
    Jim> sound to no avail. There isn't anything in the DOCs with this
    Jim> release that sound is disabled so I figured it must be
    Jim> possible somehow....

Well, one could always use an outside driver I suppose, and put it
into the mailcap file, instead of using native Netscape functions.

    Jim> Anyway, after one particularly absurd attempt, Netscape froze
    Jim> solid and took everything else with it - no mouse, no
    Jim> keyboard - nothing. I let it sit there for a while then
    Jim> reluctantly reached for the power switch figuring I've
    Jim> already cleaned up after one power failure - what's one more.
    Jim> fsck did its job dutifully, but I can't help but wonder that
    Jim> there must have been a better way.

You *might* be able to salvage something by running under a debugger,
although I wouldn't bet on it.  Linux is a protected-mode OS; Netscape
*shouldn't* be able to do that anyway, so I don't know how you're
going to protect against it.  Probably both Netscape and the Linux
development team would be interested in how you produced that crash if
you can reproduce it ;-).  You might be able to save a little bit of
time on the fsck by making a special partition for experimenting with
Netscape and dismounting everything else....

You could of course switch to Windows 95 and Internet Explorer....  Or
you could use HotJava or Mosaic or Arena.  Or you could see if there's
anything on the bug list at www.netscape.com (I think they publish
one).

I've noticed recently that I'm not seeing *any* mail messages posted
from Netscape anymore....

--
                            Stephen J. Turnbull
Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences                    Yaseppochi-Gumi