Re: Adobe Acrobat Reader

    Dennis>   Hi all, I just unpacked and installed Adobe's Acrobat
    Dennis> Reader.  It looks like it would be very nice, if only it
    Dennis> worked.  When I try to open a file I get a "Segmentation
    Dennis> Violation Caught" error message.

    Dennis>   Anyone had better luck?  Maybe it just doesn't like
    Dennis> 1.2.13?

I haven't looked at it yet, but I'd be willing to bet that you've been
caught in the library shuffle.  There have been some internal changes
in recent libraries apparently, and typically when you rebuild from
source and link with your resident libraries such problems go away.
I'll bet that Adobe does not provide source, so you're just going to
have to upgrade your libraries.  I don't think you need everything in
Craig's post....

I've also found that such problems typically occur in programs with
source that generates lots of warnings when compiled under "gcc -Wall"
or stricter conditions.

This may not require that you upgrade your kernel, since the
kernel must be statically linked (it needs to be running before the
volume that holds your libraries is mounted :-).  However the kernel
interface to the library does change from time to time, so you may be
forced to do so.

This is why MS-DOS has 'setver'.

This is one reason why I stay in practice building my own kernels and
only use software I have the source to.  Once stuff like Ghostscript
or Acrobat Reader start getting ported to Java, life should become
more stable---assuming that they don't start messing with the Java
virtual machine's definition.

Steve

--
                           Stephen John Turnbull
University of Tsukuba                                        Yaseppochi-Gumi