Re: Macs and kids

>>In article <m0vLaAQ-00001OC@example.com>, turnbull@example.com (Stephen J. Turnbull) writes:

> On the other hand, I can see a couple of real advantages to Linux for
> kids, if you're willing to muck around with the sys admin stuff
> necessary.

I can sort of back this up.  Two kids, 12 year old boy and 16 year old
girl.  I set up Linux accounts for them, didn't worry about preventing
xterm and the like, but what really impressed me was that the 12 year
old boy only wanted games and web stuff, and the 16 year old girl
wanted a word processor and web stuff.  They BOTH prefered Pine (Elm?
I forget which) for email rather than the point and click variety I
paid money for.  Email was the reason I wanted to set up Linux
accounts for them.  I did not want to hear "Johnny read my email!" and
so on.  The admin part was no big problem, but then, I wasn't worried
about them trying to trash each other or crack the system files.

       Felix Finch, scarecrow repairer / felix@example.com
     PGP = 9D 93 1E 78 5B D7 42 1C   95 4E 9E DD 3F 6F 21 98