Re: Library problems with the Java DK

On Sun, 3 Nov 1996, Jim Schweizer wrote:

> Your libs have to be:
> libc.so.5 =>/lib/libc.so.5.2.18
> libdl.so.1 => /lib/libdl.so.1.7.9
>
> Upgrading these may solve your problem...

  Thanks, Jim.  This did the trick all right.  Things seem to be working now.
The applet.viewer works fine, and I've compiled and run your basic 'Hello,
world' java program.

  Anyone else who needs these libraries will find them at the tsx-11
site under /pub/Linux/packages/GCC.  You want:
	ld.so-1.7.14.tar.gz
	libc-5.2.18.bin.tar.gz
They install very easily (just be careful after unpacking libc when you
manually make the link 'ln -sf libc.so.5.2.18 libc.so.5'  - don't forget
the -sf switch), and don't appear to cause any problems for other
software (knock on wood and all...).  I used to think libraries with
the same major number were interchangeable, but this is obviously not
quite the case.

Dennis McMurchy,
Tojinmachi, Fukuoka