Re: Running Linux without the tears and fears

On Fri, 25 Oct 1996, Jim Schweizer wrote:

> Thank God for the Internet though, as an hour or so of
> surfing with Alta Vista brought:
> "Happily, the ext2fs filesystem type saves copies of the superblock at
> ``block group'' boundaries on the drive---usually, every 8K blocks. In
> order to tell e2fsck to use a copy of the superblock, you can use a
> command such as
> # e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/sda1"

  I'm glad it worked for you.  If you had reached for your copy of
"Running Linux" (Matt Walsh & Lar Kaufman, O'Reilly 1995) you'd have
saved yourself an hour of surfing.  It's all right there in the
'Repairing Filesystems' section on page 200.

  Anybody running Linux without this book is doing himself a disservice!
By the way, the Japanese translation has been in the shops for a few
months now, too.

Dennis McMurchy,
Tojinmachi, Fukuoka