Re: Overseas connections a waste of time???

On Tue, 8 Oct 1996, David Riley wrote:

> It seems like most archive
> sites are being mirrored in country nowadays, so we shouldn't need to
> waste extra time on overseas connections.

  I'm certainly no expert of any kind on this, but my subjective
impression is that links outside the country are vastly better (to
the U.S. anyway - not to Europe) than local ones, at least with
my 28.8 modem (may be different for those with T1).

  Also, I remember reading in "Computing in Japan" last fall, that
because of the primitive infrastructure here at lot of connections
from point to point within Japan were actually routed through the
States, making Japan not only a non-contributor (which would be par
for the course), but actually a net drain on the net (no pun intended -
really).

  What's the story?

Dennis McMurchy,
Tojinmachi, Fukuoka