Re: X-Windows frustration

>I just had a horrid thought: do you have a Mach64 *card*, or did IBM
>use the Mach64 chipset in a proprietary implementation?  If the
>latter, you could be permanently hosed.

Bingo. I just opened it up and looked. It's not a card, but the local
implementation of the chipset. Now I see why the device cannot be
located, and never will be. Sigh...  I was really looking forward to
running Linux, too.

>I will never buy IBM hardware in Japan again.  Not without a written
>moneyback guarantee of *full* Linux compatibility.  IBM Japan
>obviously is a Japanese company with Japanese ideas about service.
>
>"Secrecy before service."

The best thing I can say at this point is, "It wasn't MY money." I
got it with grant money from the university here. However, I couldn't
agree more with your assessment.

Thanks for the help! Anybody need a slackware CD?

David Riley
Hachinohe Institute of Technology
88-1, Myo, Ohbiraki  Hachinohe-shi  031