Re: scsi drives no longer detected

    Jim> Hi all, Wish I could have gone to the last meeting. One of
    Jim> these days....

Me, too.  Sigh ... I'm only 2.5 hours from the TLUG meetings, but
somehow I never seem to be able to get there!

    Jim> so as a test I tried to compile it but I can't seem to get
    Jim> the new kernel to recognize my scsi drives.

Ah, but you don't *have* a SCSI *board*, despite your log:

    Jim> Sep 29 23:06:51 wormhole kernel: FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
    Jim> Sep 29 23:06:51 wormhole kernel: aha152x: porttest: ok, auto config:
    Jim>                 ok, detection complete
    Jim> Sep 29 23:06:51 wormhole kernel: aha152x: vital data: PORTBASE=0x340,

That port looks like a Sound Blaster to me....  Why the driver says
'aha152x' I don't know and don't have time to read all those config
files to figure out.  I take a wild guess below.  Where are the
messages relating to your Sound Blaster board?

BTW, you may be able to boot by using "<kernel_name> aha152x
port=0x340" (or similar options, like "portbase=0x340", or one of
those two in all caps) at the LILO prompt.  If you're not using LILO,
I dunno....  I'm not really sure of the syntax, and I'd have to read
the source of the aha152x driver to figure it out.

    Jim>                 IRQ=11, SCSI ID=7, reconnect=enabled, parity=disabled
    Jim> Sep 29 23:06:51 wormhole kernel: scsi0 : Adaptec 152x SCSI driver;
    Jim>                 $Revision: 1.9 $
    Jim> Sep 29 23:06:51 wormhole kernel: scsi : 1 host.

    Jim> to /dev/sda1 - I even tried building a kernel with EVERY scsi
    Jim> driver) it always gets to:

    Jim> FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077 scsi : 0 hosts scsi : detected
    Jim> total.

I suspect that aha152x looks for the board at 0x320 and 0x330 and
gives up (if I remember correctly).  The Sound Blaster driver probes
every port in Known Space.  It probably then enables an aha152x
compatible scsi interface at 0x340, and *then* the aha152x driver can
find it if it's loaded *after* the SBPCD driver.

    Jim> I successfully compiled the 1.3.20 kernel so I know this can
    Jim> be done given my current setup. (The problem is I drank so

Your current setup is to be found in /usr/src/linux/.config.  *Don't*
just copy it over; the configs change from kernel to kernel.  *Do*
print it out and use it as a guide to how to answer the quiz in 'make
config'.

In particular, you probably should *not* enable *any* scsi drivers
whatsoever; the CONFIG_SBPCD series of configuration flags (I'm pretty
sure you'll find them in .config) probably does that for you, and it
may matter how it's done.

    Jim> did it - all you lurking newbies [yes, I know you're
    Jim> there:-)] take notes!)

The main one is "build kernels early and often, then you'll know how!"
:-)

    Jim> A question for you hardware jockies: can I detach the
    Jim> original IDE 200MB drive (which now only has a backup Linux
    Jim> filesystem) and connect the scsi drive directly to the
    Jim> motherboard? I'm way out of my depth here.

Nope.  Even the connectors are different.  If they were the same,
you'd probably fry your motherboard, your drive, or both :-P

Good luck,
Steve

--
                           Stephen John Turnbull
University of Tsukuba                                        Yaseppochi-Gumi