jfwhois

I couldn't stand it, I had to build the binaries.  I also built a
regular whois, which worked "out of the box" (well, the makefile is
useless on a non-BSD machine, but "make -f /dev/null whois" does just
great).  I still plan to do some mods to make the utility a little
smarter and more friendly, but toriaezu....

You can get these as

file://turnbull.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp/pub/Linux-util/jfwhois-1.0.tar.gz
file://turnbull.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp/pub/Linux-util/whois.tar.gz

(the latter is just a copy of the FreeBSD sources).  Details:

jfwhois (Japanese fwhois) by Stephen Turnbull <turnbull@example.com>

jfwhois strips out some of the code in fwhois so that Japanese
characters (and the character set escape sequences) don't get
translated.  This is done with #ifs, and no other changes to the
source.  Should work with Korean and Chinese, but might need to define
RAW=1.  See the Makefile and fwhois.c.

"make bsd" gives the original fwhois.

jfwhois.linux is an ELF binary built under Linux 2.0.0 with GCC 2.7.2
and libc 5.3.12.  fwhois.linux and fwhois.sun4 are described below.

jfwhois is offered "as-is" with no warranty.

Enjoy!

Steve

--
                           Stephen John Turnbull
University of Tsukuba                                        Yaseppochi-Gumi