Re: wierd scenes inside the gold mine

    JS> Hi all, I took Craig's advice and downloaded the patched
    JS> version of make-3.74 and tried a ./configure to build a new
    JS> Makefile and after getting excited because things seemed to be
    JS> working ended up with:

    JS> cd glob; make libglob.a make[1]: Entering directory
    JS> `/hdd/bin/make-3.74/glob' make[1]: *** No rule to make target
    JS> `libglob.a'.  Stop.  make[1]: Leaving directory
    JS> `/hdd/bin/make-3.74/glob' make: *** [glob/libglob.a] Error 2

    JS> where /hdd/bin is the directory I set aside for messing around
    JS> with this problem . Seems I'm right back where I started from.

Presumably this is the binary version?  You should get the binary
version; rebuilding Make is not necessary.

If you *don't* have the binary version, and were trying to rebuild
Make yourself, then, yes, you're going to end up right back where you
started.  I believe there was a work-around, something like specifying
the makefile on the command line with

			   make -f Makefile

However, this doesn't work "out of the box" with recursive makes
because they depend on being able to use the default Makefile in each
directory.  So you need to change the invocation of make, either by
editing all the makefiles to change "make" to "make -f Makefile" or if
the Makefiles use a paramtrization MAKE=make and invoke make via
${MAKE}, then you could do "make -f Makefile 'MAKE=make -f Makefile'"
and it should work.

Isn't this all just so GNU and wonderful?

    JS> BTW it's pissing rain down here - hope you guys get some...

Why thank you!

Steve