Re: Linux Quake on 2.0.0?

More quake notes, from the list ...

> |> Anybody able to get the Linux version of Quake 0.91 to work on
> |> Linux 2.0.4 with the new libc?  I get a core dump right after all
> |> the various startup messages have scrolled past.
> |
> |There is no Quake 0.91 binary for Linux, as far as I know. Try running
> |the
> |test version of Quake (qtest1.zip) and using the linux_qtest1a.tgz
> |executables. Works fine if you have a recent XF86 server and libs.
>
> Yes, there's a linux shareware quake:
>
> ftp://ftp.lek.net/pub/linux/quake/intel_linux_quake091.tgz
>
> now, let us never speak of it again.. :-)
>
> ---
>
> Seriously, I can get linux quake "0.91"  (in the game it says it's
> 0.92)  to run without problems.   Unfortunately, it refuses to run
> for me in Kernels 2.0.1 - 2.0.4 -- and I've tried them all. No doubt
> this is because of the "new and improved" USSlite :-)
>
> When trying to run it on 2.0.1+ opens a window, begins unpacking the
> PAK file, then shuts down with "floating point exception"
>
> It runs great in 2.0.0 -- well, the sounds are choppy, due to the
> fact that it mixes the samples at too high a sampling rate: 44 KHz,
> much higher than the DOS version does, and sucking up too much CPU
> power.  Fortunately this can all be corrected with environment
> variables:
>
> QUAKE_SOUND_SAMPLEBITS = <8 or 16, i suppose>
> QUAKE_SOUND_SPEED =  <11000, 22050 are good values>
> QUAKE_SOUND_CHANNELS = <1 or 2, i guess>
>
> System info:  P5-100 Neptune II ; 16 Mb ; kernel 2.0.0 ; libc 5.4.2 ;
>     Xfree86 3.1.2E ;  ld.so 1.8.1 ; fvwm 2.0.42 -- I guess that's all
>     that's remotely relevant.

      James Ellison          |    Cyber Technologies International K.K.
=============================|      General Manager, Tech Systems Dept.
 jellison@example.com        |  Toranomon Suzuki Bldg, 3-20-4 Toranomon
 tech@example.com            |              Minato-ku, Tokyo 150, Japan
 http://www.cyber.ad.jp      |  Tel:+81-3-3578-4888 Fax:+81-3-3578-4889