Re: Everything as a module

Oh,
in case anyone else does this, I just wanted to add that in order for
the system to boot, you cannot have your root filesystem installed
as a module.  If your system hangs at boot time, look back at the
config file and make sure that your root filesystem and ELF binary
support are compiled into the kernel.

Also, if you have a slow machine, this could be frustrating and if you
have a lot of RAM, the benefits won't be that great.

Re: multicast

I've been reading up on multicast and MBONE technology.  The Linux
kernel appears to have support to work as a multicast router.

Just an odd question about multicast technology...  Does the router
have a table of all the hosts it has to multicast to, or is there
something in the header that tells the packet where to go.  I'll
try and read that chapter tonight, but just thought I would post
it to the list anyway.

Re: Wireless

Just another odd note, the guy who did the Java binary support addition
to the Linux kernel appears to be a ham radio guy.  Guess there are
a lot of those dudes out there.

Re: Oh yea, compiling Java support..

Before I forget, just thought I would mention that the default
header file defines the location of the java binary and appletviewer
as /usr/bin.  If you installed java under /usr/local/java/, the
full path would be /usr/local/java/bin/java and
/usr/local/java/bin/appletviewer.  You have to edit the definition in

	/usr/src/linux/fs/java*something**.h

if you want it to find it.  Also, if you compile java support as a module,
you have to recompile the kernel in order to change the path of the
binary... not so nifty..., but it works fine.

Regards,
Craig

* NEW SERVICE  TWICS Lite  20,000 yen per year flat rate Internet access *
* Unlimited time usage, all 28.8Kbps modems, unlimited POP e-mail        *
Craig Oda 	craig@example.com		http://www.twics.com
TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System,
   TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
Main Reception: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096
Customer Service: 3351-5481   Corporate Sales/Support: 3351-8452