Re: Documentation for Japanese extensions

    Dennis>   While we're on the subject, anyone going for the
    Dennis> Japanese extensions should go with Wnn rather than Canna
    Dennis> (unless you're really memory-impaired).  In my (limited)
    Dennis> experience the conversion algorithm is vastly superior
    Dennis> with Wnn.

What do you mean?  Maybe you write more/better Japanese than I do; I
found Wnn to be a memory and CPU hog that didn't do much beyond what
Canna (for Japanese) does.  The old Wnn on the University Suns has a
slightly more convenient interface but the new Canna's conversion
algorithm is much superior.  Neither one handles intermixed eigo entry
very well; typing "T u r n b u l l <ctrl-\> n o k a n g a e k a t a
<space>" gives "Turnbull$@example.com$(J}(J", not "Turnbull$@$N9M$(J}(J" for both
FEPs, which is my biggest FEP-related whine.

Anyway, if you can be specific, I might find it worth hassling with
Wnn again.  I'm probably going to rebuild the FEP anyway since the new
kernels bitch unmercifully about locks.

Much more important to my mind was fixing the !@#$% treatment of
punctuation (specifically apostrophes and hyphens) in Mule's
word-wrapping algorithm; it's Lisp code but I prefer to have this
dumped in the code (in case I'm not using my own account and/or copy
the binary to another machine), and I've never had luck compiling Mule
itself for Wnn (I don't recall what the problem was, exactly,
though).  Wnn was pretty hard to compile, too.

I don't like the file location defaults the JE people chose, either; I
usually set them to be somewhat more FSSTND-compliant.

    Dennis> (really) ).  Mule (based on Emacs 19.28) was my first
    Dennis> taste of Emacs with full X support.  Isn't it lovely?

Have you tried Lucid Emacs or Epoch?  Those are lovely.  I don't think
they support Mule though.

--
                           Stephen John Turnbull
University of Tsukuba                                        Yaseppochi-Gumi